gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Frontend ..

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Frontend ..
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:43:03 -0400

My apologies for being scarce recently; between hurricanes and other distractions like paying bills, I haven;t had much chance to focus on OpenMP in the last week or so.

Lars Segerlund wrote:
From the discusions lately I have understood that basicly we would
like to bring the OMP stuff into tree-ssa whithout much modification,
simply doing a syntax and context check but not generating something
interesting.

That seems sensible to me.

Diego's dissertation ( I think it was a dissertation ) seem's like a
strong argument to handle the parallellisation in the 'middle end'
aka. tree-ssa.

I have also looked a bit at intels omp compiler, and the question
remains if our approach of 'doing everything in the lib' will be able
to match the kind of overhead their solution gives.

Implementing parallelism in the library ensures portability; generating inline code provides performance. My thought would be to build a portable OpenMP based on a library implementation, while keeping our options open for generating inline parallel code for specific popular platforms.

So how do we progress ?

I'm studying NPTL and NUMA elements of the Linux kernel for other projects, and this meshes well with our initial target.

I was thinking of generating a small set of patches agains the
fortran frontend and the C parser, but it will be hard to get started
until we know where to do most of the processing. My opinion at the
moment is to get it all through the frontend, and don't give a damn
about anything else since this is a primary problem to solve.

Agreed.

This doesn't exclude that work can be done on the lib, and other
phases it only relates to the info. However this totally leaves out
ANY implementation details, which are postponed to a later stage,
thus there is nothing to hinder us in progressing.

So if anything we should make some testcases for the #pragmas and
!$OMP directives for C and fortran.

I'm working on more test cases.

..Scott

--