gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Frontend ..

From: Diego Novillo
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Frontend ..
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:04:37 -0400

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 10:16, Lars Segerlund wrote:
>  HI again,
>
>   Do we have any consencus how to handle the OMP directives in the
> frontends ?
>
>   I have been looking at the fortran frontend and the c parser in gcc,
> ( I suppose we have updated our source tree ? ).

We now have.  Sorry it took so long.  Check out gomp-branch from
gcc.gnu.org.  I will update the branches web page shortly.

I re-branched GOMP because the previous one was based on tree-ssa.  The
new branch is off of mainline.  Unfortunately mainline is not very
stable, but I got a good bootstrap on x86/linux today.  C++ is a bit
shaky, though.  Disabling ivopts is a good idea for now (-fno-ivopts).

>   Diego's dissertation ( I think it was a dissertation ) seem's like a
> strong argument to handle the parallellisation in the 'middle end'
> aka. tree-ssa.

Yes.  The middle end should handle all the transformations needed to
reason about concurrency.  In the FE it is too early, and in code
generation you have already either messed up the program or not done
enough information gathering to do a good job.

>   So how do we progress ?

Parsing pragmas in the front end seems like a good start.  The middle
end can wait and code generation can be initially a simple-minded
mapping to the threading library.

Both the front end and the library work can go in parallel.

Diego.