gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] IR hooks ...

From: Diego Novillo
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] IR hooks ...
Date: 02 Apr 2003 08:42:18 -0500

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 07:59, Lars Segerlund wrote:

>   If you check the gcc mailing list for :
>
> [RFC] CFG hooks for rtl/tree specificities
>
>   you will see what I mean, I was refering to Internal Representation,
> and perhaps some hooks for our stuff would be an easy way to get the
> patches in ?
>
>   I.e. we could have some hooks for the trees themself, ( containing the
> parallell awareness that is required ).

That's not what hooks are used for.  They are used in situations where
functions need to operate on an abstract data structure that may contain
data from different representations in GCC.  A hook is essentially a
function pointer.

Language hooks are very widely used in GCC.  For instance, when parsing
begins, the main compile loop inside gcc calls the function
(*parse_file)() which different front ends initialize to different
parsing functions.

We are now starting to think about hooks for different IR (Intermediate
Representations).  Sebastian is now looking at splitting edges in a
flowgraph, since that needs to do different things in the Tree flow
graph than in the RTL flowgraph.  A hook is the perfect thing to use so
that we can have a generic edge splitter that calls the appropriate
function when dealing with a tree flowg graph and RTL flow graph.

The parallel markers are a different thing.  We will augment the Tree IR
with new nodes.  If we ever need to implement code that deals with
parallel RTL and parallel Trees, then we may write a hook then.

Diego.