gomd-devel

Re: [gomd-devel] <DAEMON> gomd testing

From: Gian Paolo Ghilardi
Subject: Re: [gomd-devel] <DAEMON> gomd testing
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:16:37 +0200

Hi Matt.
How're you?

> Ciao JP,
>
> here the short summary of my testing of the latest gomd+libgomd sources :
>   :))  very nice !
> now a bit more detailed :
> - had a bit trouble to get the libgtop-2.0.2 (latest) working on my Redhat
>   system. The libgtop-1.x.x was installed but there is no version 2.x
>   available as an rpm .... so i compiled myself and .....
>   ..... the "make" resulted in an endless loop and did not start
>   compiling :/  ....... ok, found out why : the autoconf add 2 spaces
>   in each Makefile where no spaces are allowd (just tabs). I had to
correct
>   every Makefile in every subdir and then it compiled ok.
>   The questions are :
>   Do we really need libgtop-2.x.x or can we reduce the deps
>   to libgtop-[any-version] ?
Uhm... Libgtop2 contains a lot of new features.
Maybe I'm wrong but the 2.0 version of libgtop was entirely rewritten.
However I'll check. ;)
Please notice libgtop2 is optional.

> - i do not really like the locate + find in the compile.sh ;)
>   It simply takes too long and it not safe (to my mind).
Uhm...Unsafe? Why?

>   I suggest just to remove those library-checks and
>   let the compile.sh only doing the compile. We can e.g.
>   check the exit status of the make and tell the user that
>   some libs are missing.

It's an idea but... what if compile.sh asked the user something like (in
compile.sh):
"Do you want to include extra informations support (requires libgtop2
installed): [y/N]"?

> That's all ;)
> Everything else worked like a charme in my testing !
> I like the test1.sh+test2.sh and also the client-example.app.
> The new values in the gomd (from libgtop) are VERY usefull !
> ... and thanks to JP's function-numbering we are not
> far away from having all this new informations available in the
> libgomd too i guess.
Matt. About the function ids, I'd like to (re)define some ranges.
For examples:
- functions with id < 100 require special privileges
- functions with ranges between 101 and 200 can be requested only on the
local node (or with special privileges)
- function with id >201 don't require special privileges
Comments?
Matt: can you  (when you can/want, obviously) arrange the function ids?
Thanks.
They are (logically) untidy. ;)

> We should now put the hardcoded ip-adresses in omInfo.cpp in the gomd.conf
> and the ip-addresses in the libgomd-code into a "libgomd.conf" ..
> ... or maybe in the gomd.conf too. Let's discuss ;)

I'm working to avoid hard coded stuff. ;)

> many thanks JP, really good work.
> Also i like our project page + diagrams :)   ... and the README...
> gomd->fun();
>
> have a nice weekend,
Also to you, Matt.
Thanks a lot for your testing... ;)