Re: Please help: My build of gnustep from modules

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Please help: My build of gnustep from modules
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:25:48 +0200

Hello Elim Qiu,

Am Montag, den 07.06.2010, 12:14 -0600 schrieb Elim Qiu:
> This is the result I tried so far to build gnustep from modules (svn
> anonymous co). Since I tried (ogo/sope) a while ago and used to work
> with WebObjects4.5.1 ObjC windows. I noticed the installation layout
> is quite different (System dir with no Frameworks, I don't see
> Foundation.framework anywhere etc). I just want to confirm what I got is
> ok... (Please help). I tried hello example in gsweb package and it
> worked and deployable.

GDL2 and GSWeb are currently being reworked by Dave Wetzel.
Unfortunately this work is being done on the trunk and not on a
development branch.  Also the commits are often not easily reviewable so
I've only been able to poke at issues here and there.

The problem with WO45 compatibility is that -base(add) removed some of
the important infrastructure we needed to hack the runtime to provide
the WO45 compatibility.  Also the basic API adaption to Cocoa has also
complicated the issue even more.  Therefor we effectively dropped the
WO45 compatibility goal and made some major changes in the
infrastructure to adapt to current -base.  We have a project in the test
suite that should exercise important parts of the GDL2 API.  I'm not
sure if D. Wetzel is testing (and adapting it).

Parallel to that Dave W. wanted to adapt DBModeler to the new API but
failed due to the underlying infrastructure change and began a fork
called EOModelEditor which is still a WIP and does not yet support all
features that DBModeler did (eventhough it support some other features,
IIRC).

I guess currently Dave W. is the guy to help you get GSWeb/GDL2 up to
par for you needs, but be advised that you'll probably need to adapt
your WO4.5 application to make it work.

I'd love to point you to "stable" branches but they currently do not
exist.

Cheers,
David

--