Re: Subversion problems on windows

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Subversion problems on windows
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:44:22 +0800

Derek Zhou wrote:
Most sane Unix editors can cope with windows CR/LF automatically too;
as long as no one is mixing styles in the same file, everyone should be
fine. If the style is mixed up within the same file, even "eol-native"
can not guranty to do the right thing anyway. My suggestion is the
origin author of a file decides which style this file should be, be it
windows or unix or mac, and everybody just follow the convention
within this file.

The trouble with using the "svn:eol-native" property is that it makes subversion do a line conversion. So it does the unix2dos or dos2unix conversion. So your suggestion of letting the author decide and everybody else just stick with that can only be done if the property is *not* set.

Otherwise you check out a file and it's always native to the platform you checked out on.

Having to keep track of which file is ascii and which file is binary
is tedious.

Agreed and there is no need to do that if we delete the propery. Note though, that we'd otherwise need to keep track of which file is considered 'text' by subversion but is encoded non-ascii.

Regards,
Sheldon