Re: Manually storing DHT content

From: TheJackiMonster
Subject: Re: Manually storing DHT content
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:28:17 +0100

On Wed, 2021-02-17 at 14:12 +0100, Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
> Sounds a bit like you want to build something on top of messenger and
> fs actually.
>
> Storing blog posts (e.g. html pages) in fs seems reasonable to me.
> And using
> the messenger feature for propagation/notifications of updates and
> possibly comments would allow you to
> build a content platform around it.

Something like this should be quite forward. The messenger service
supports sending file-messages which will allow sending files fully
encrypted inside of a group.

Otherwise it would be totally up to the application if these blogs are
only available for a selected group (using a shared secret) or making
it public by sharing the secret/(CADET port) with everyone.

> Br
> Martin
>
> > On 17. Feb 2021, at 14:09, Danny <danny.de.jong@protonmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, that's definitally interresting.
> >
> > I was actually more concerned with a blog-like situation where
> > messages
> > can be considered to be posts and are available to the public,
> > preferably indefinetally. My objective in this case is freedom of
> > speech, not so much confidentiality.
> >
> > I don't know how long the messages in a chat-room remain available,
> > but
> > I'm guessing the messages are encrypted for the other participants
> > that
> > were in the room at the moment the message was sent?

The messages will be sent through CADET. So they are encrypted via
CADET transport-layer. I've also added the possibility to encrypt
messages explicitly but this feature is for private chats mostly
because you had to encrypt for every individual receiver otherwise
which is quite resource heavy.

The messages get stored on every members peer until they leave the room
which they don't have to do at all (even going offline doesn't imply
leaving the room, so other peers can send you the missed messages later
on).

> > But anyway, good to see such a system is being integrated as well.
> > :)

Sharing files will still require some work on the API making the
encryption and storage of the encrypted files automatic. For demo
purposes you could try cadet-gtk already. This allows sharing files in
a very similar way using CADET and FS.

I'm also planning to add application specific messages for more custom
features but for now I have to optimize the message graph. ^^'

Happy hacking
Jacki