Re: [GNUnet-developers] Hello! (brief introduction and lots of questions

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Hello! (brief introduction and lots of questions)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 12:17:55 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 13K bytes:
> [...]
> protocol, where you effectively would specify the product you are
> looking for and get offers from all shops offering the particular
> product. So at that point, someone running an online shop would post the
> catalog of their products with prices, and wouldn't have to bother with
> JS/CSS and styling & marketing. But YMMV, that's at this point just my
> totally crazy and very, very long-term vision (which I have no plans to
> work on this decade, much more pressing issues out there first ;-)).
>
> > ### 7: How might "local networks" work?
> >
> > Or would they exist at all? The systems I work with in my job
> > might have a handful of internet-facing servers, but - like a
> > lot of environments - most of the servers live within LAN and
> > never exist outside. Would this be similar with GNUnet? Would
> > there be a different system for managing localised connections
> > and controlling access?
>
> As I see it, if you wanted to have services available only to a limited
> audience, you'd simply only post the (randomly generated, high-entropy)
> CADET port numbers in a GNS zone where that GNS zone's public key was
> only shared with the limited target audience. That should perfectly
> suffice to hide even the existence of those services from the rest of
> the world. There should be no need for any other kind of isolation /
> access control.
>
> > ### 8: If I setup my machines to use GNUnet, how can I have
> >        them try and use GNUnet for all traffic, but fall-back
> >        to legacy internet when the service I'm requesting
> >        isn't reachable over GNUnet?
> >
> > Is this the kind of setup that might be considered "default"?
>
> For GNS, yes. If you setup the GNS resolver, all GNS-enabled zones would
> be resolved via GNS, and it'll fall back to DNS for the rest.  For most
> other Internet traffic (unless you use GNUnet-PT) deploying GNUnet
> wouldn't do anything in the first place.
>
> > The documentation described ways of using GNS to access the
> > legacy internet with Virtual Public Networks, and using
> > "Ascension" to convert legacy DNS tables to usable GNS tables.
> > How much of a cross-over is there between legacy internet and
> > GNUnet at the moment?
>
> You can also use GNUnet for IPv4-IPv6 protocol translation and/or
> tunneling. But GNS/DNS is indeed the main cross-over point today.
>
> > ### 9: What sorts of applications might I write for GNUnet
> >        considering what systems already exist?
>
> Whatever you're qualified to do and feel like. It's Free Software ;-).
>
> > If I want to write an application that uses GNUnet to
> > communicate with other users or access things like software
> > repositories for checking for updates and the like, what would
> > be the approach to this?
>
> The GNU Guix folks are interested in this, and did a bit of preliminary
> work on this. But to make this really work nicely, we'll have to finish
> the Transport Next Generation (TNG) work, and fix some fundamental
> design issues in file-sharing (for performance).

I'm no longer (that much/at all) involved, but recent developments drifted
towards IPFS
and IPFS having a good feedback in the guix community, at least those who voiced
their opinion publicly about it.
They seem to maintain a protocol independent approach, but I don't
think this is happening anytime soon.
Code exists, and amz3 worked on an update of it this year (gnunet-guile2),
and I do have a collection of notes with regards to this (guix in particular).
I have since then moved on to form my own thoughts and ideas about distributed
package management.

Nix is also using IPFS for content distribution btw.

> > Or say I wanted to create a social
> > network, is the idea of GNUnet that everything work on the
> > protocols and systems that are part of GNUnet and really
> > integrate with it as a platform?
>
> Talk to the SecuShare(.org) folks, they're working on exactly that.
> Albeit a bit idle these days AFAIK as a key organizer went into art.
>
> > Or might an application use
> > its own protocol instead?
>
> Usually, applications build on existing layers --- but also add their
> own layers and protocols.
>
> > Also, with what systems are already
> > part of GNUnet and what logical additional systems I might
> > anticipate in the future, would there be much need to write
> > applications for it at all? The only exceptions being clients
> > to these existing systems?
>
> As we want to abandon the client-server world, most Internet
> applications will need to be redesigned and rewritten to work in a true
> peer-to-peer fashion.
>
> > ### 10: Where does my key come from?
> >
> > Is it my existing GPG key pair that I use for emails? Or are
> > new keys created for every host, ego, and GNS zone?
>
> GNUnet never touches your GPG key pair (ok, you may yourself put it into
> a CERT record in GNS, but that's about it). GNUnet creates new,
> independent keys for every host and ego/GNS-zone (egos and GNS zones use
> the same keys).
>
> > ### 11: Last one. What chat rooms and systems can I start
> >         participating in right now?
> >
> > Are there any? I think it would be amazing to see it working
> > and be talking to people with it and browsing content others
> > have already made? Is there anything doing a similar job of
> > the IRC channel but on GNUnet? If not, are there docs that
> > would allow me to - once I'm more familiar with how it all
> > works - to setup my own "room" that I can invite friends to
> > and chat in?
>
> The gnunet-nim / secushare folks run something, but I've not had the
> time to use it myself. I expect they'll indoctrinate me during the
> GNUnet Hacker meeting in 2 week ;-).

There have been regular succesful chats been spin up from what
I could observe via psyc (I wasn't involved in the tests).

> > I know that was a lot so I'm very grateful to anyone that took
> > the time to read through all of my rather naive and maybe
> > over-excited questions - and sorry if this isn't the best
> > place to be asking all these questions or if my wall of text
> > isn't really appropriate for this list. Again, from all that
> > I've seen so far, I think this is genuinely incredible and I
> > would really like to be able to contribute to this project in
> > the future.
>
> Great, you're welcome. And concrete suggestions for improving our
> documentation to make these questions obsolete for the next person would
> be particularly welcome ;-)

I think the questions on their own are already a good starting point.