Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNS domains

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNS domains
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:29:53 +0100

On 02/20/2017 10:21 AM, hellekin wrote:
> On 02/18/2017 04:45 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>> I think it would be ideal if we didn't just "have" the domains, but if
>> we had someone running an FCFS (or other policy) registration service
>> for GNS there, and possibly a dns2gns bridge, as you envisioned.  So if
>> we had volunteers that could envision doing so in the future, I'd say
>> that's a good reason to retain the domains.  So anyone here who has
>> plans of becoming a public service registrar for the GNU Name System?
>>

> If you need such a service, then GNUnet e.V. should take the domains.
> Whoever is going to run the service should be technical contact, not
> registrant nor administrative contact. I.e., asking to volunteers to
> take charge of the domains is a bit abusive, as they're already giving
> their attention.

I'm confused here, who else could be the contact here, but some volunteer?

> That said, throwing money at DNS rent might not be the best option to
> support a post-DNS project :)

The same sentiment was repeatedly voiced by several people from the
GNUnet e.V.-Vorstand, basically echoing your point that GNUnet e.V.
should simply not be in the business of throwing money at DNS, and that
we can do all we need to do under gnunet.org.

So maybe we keep it simple and let Martin and Amatus do as they see fit
as individuals with the names tg wanted to part with. That said, I
personally would not mind if they anyway use GNUnet e.V's mailing
address to obscure their personal address in whois.