Re: [GNUnet-developers] Why old-school C?

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Why old-school C?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:20:11 +0200

On Wed, 2015-07-08 at 13:50 -0700, Ed Baskerville wrote:
> This is a side note, but to get GNUnet to work on non-jailbroken iOS--which
> some people probably don't care about but I think is going to be
> necessary--there needs to be a version that can run in a single process. iOS
> just won't let you do multiple processes unless you're Apple. This might not
> be too hard--just put processes on different threads, and use the same
> IPC--but there are no doubt implications for stability and security. I may
> end up attempting this after I'm better oriented, and would certainly
> appreciate any warnings you have on this front.

Just fyi, one should not assume that GNUnet as a whole should run on a
mobile device anyways, due largely to metadata leakage issues.

We'll make GNS run over Tor with only a few processes.  In practice, the
processes relevant for a mobile application could perhaps be bundled
into an application somehow.

Anyways, privacy tools like Tor, GPG/PGP, XMPP+OTR, etc. arrive extremely
late on iOS, if they arrive at all.  Just don't use iOS if you care about
privacy.

Jeff