Re: [GNUnet-developers] Using GNUnet for binary package distribution

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Using GNUnet for binary package distribution
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:57:35 +0100

On 03/22/2013 01:25 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi,

Sree Harsha Totakura<address@hidden>  skribis:

For authentication, we intend to use GPG with gnunet-update.  The idea
is that the gnunet-updater would search for updates using GNUnet's File
Sharing service and downloads meta-data files.  It then verifies if the
meta-data files are signed by a trusted key (which is user-configurable)
and proceeds with the download of actual binaries.

OK.  Wouldn’t using the AFS service be a bottleneck, in terms of
availability and bandwidth?  My impression is that it might be OK for
small updates like those of GNUnet itself, but not for a full distro.

We won't be using the *anonymous* file-sharing for this.

For Guix, downloading binaries is an option that is only worthwhile if
it’s faster than building locally.

Of course.

-Christian