Re: [GNUnet-developers] Human redable filesizes for gnunet-gtk

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Human redable filesizes for gnunet-gtk
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:55:49 -0700

On Sunday 23 April 2006 08:42, Toni Ruottu wrote:
> > I made a little patch (rare project I managed to realize ;-) ) to show
> > smart sizes in gnunet-gtk :  "10 MiB" instead of "10485760".
>
>   Maybe the exact size could be shown in a tool tip?

If you know how to do this nicely, that'd be fine.  I've got plenty of places
where tool tips would be useful (like say, for the namespace search tabs
which are currently just always gigantic).

>   The feature should also be added to the command line tools.
>   du uses -h (human readable) for this.

In that case, we should move the new function to gnunet_util.h and probably
have an option in the configuration file (gnunet.conf) to turn on/off human
readable.  "-h" is used for help, the option does not sound like something
anyone would want to mess with frequently, so having it (just) in gnunet.conf
(as an "ADVANCED" option) should be good enough.  We need to avoid confusing
users with too many options that don't make much of a difference.