Re: [GNUnet-developers] Human redable filesizes for gnunet-gtk

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Human redable filesizes for gnunet-gtk
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:43:15 -0700

On Monday 24 April 2006 15:24, Milan wrote:
> I can't do the modifications you told me now, Christian, but I will
> within 1-2 weeks. So if you don't want to bother with it, just don't
> apply the patch, I will send a new version when it will be ready.

Ok, great.  1-2 weeks make no difference at this point (I don't see us making
a release before then), so I'll be happy to wait ;-).

> All the issues were simple and/or errors, but the FREE/glib problem. I
> use glib to allocate the string space because it's really easier to do
> so. I don't see any way to do it with a clean and short code. Is this
> really a problem, or may I still use glib makjing some changes to the
> code ? I don't really know how your FREE marco works, I'll look later at
> this.

Well, when moving things to gnunet-util you really have to avoid glib
altogether -- we're not linking against glib in gnunetutil, so you cannot use
any glib calls.

> I'll move the function to gnunet_util.h so it can be used by all other
> gnunet utilities. For the moment I think it's not a problem not showing
> the user the exact size (who cares about it in a GUI ?), even if we keep
> the value hidden for internal usage.

I think in the (internal) table we might just want to keep
a) exact size
b) nice human readable size
c) nice, human readable "number of bytes left"

and then we can decide what to show later (possibly based on user prefs).  I

> (PS about current SVN : compilation works, but gnunet-gtk.glade seems
> currently broken, even glade-2 doesn't reads it)

Reads it just fine for me here.  Which version of glade-2 are you using!?