[GNUnet-developers] GNUnet and chat ?

From: Christian
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet and chat ?
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:16:44 +0900

After reading into the AFS code i got a little but frustrated by the complexity
:)
I dont intend to stop looking into it and trying to contribute. But at the
moment i would like to see the chat in a working state. So i decided to put
some time into it.
It should be "usable" by now but i doubt the chat will be reliable.
If i understand the GNUnet layer right there is no guaranty to get my packages
through to everyone. But a protocoll for chat i think forbids something like a
response or retransmitt for economic reasons. It might be a bit difficult to
provide a chat system at a low bandwidth cost.
Or is there a way to get the packages through whatever it costs if they can
wait long enough. (like 5 seconds or so)
Another point is: Does the GNUnet layer allready communicate with other nodes
what kinds of data they can process. If an old Node can not do anything with
chat-data why should we send it there. At least if it does not WANT to have the
data (i.e. for bandwidth reasons).

  Chris