Re: webapp architecture

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: webapp architecture
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 19:46:43 +0200

Date: Wednesday 07 May 2008
From: Armen Baghumian <address@hidden>
To: Davi Leal <address@hidden>

Hi dear Davi,

Thanks for offer.

I just checked GNUHerds code again, Herds is a big system, it has a
clean code, you guys had logic and presentation separation in mind, it
has unique design with its advantage and disadvantage let me get through
that.

The code has interesting design but I think there are these
disadvantage:

1) Lake of using any kind of shiny framework out there
I hardly believe that it should be rewrite with one of those free/libre
frameworks out there. yes I know sometimes frameworks are bad but a
system like herds which needs to maintain should be done with a nice
and fast framework.

2) Lake of a dispatcher to take control of every thing
why not have a central dispatcher/controller to take any kind of action
from user?

3) Lake of dynamic access control
why not to have a nice access control module, why put all access
control stuff at the top of pages?

4) why not have a generic static page controller to serve all static
pages, why put duplicated logic for each page?

5) Why not use only three layers to separate Logic and Presentation and
have a Central model and glue them with a central controller? (I mean
ModelViewController)

And its advantage:
1) Using Smarty as template engine
2) Using standard gettext as I18N layer
3) Separating logic and presentation, I like that

I think if we rewrite the GNUHerds with a framework then its code will
be vacuumed and could be more maintain able.

I suggest you to use Kohana[1] and Arag[2] over it, each of those are
libre.

[1] http://kohanaphp.com
[2] http://arag.berlios.de

--Armen