Re: webapp architecture

From: Dion Rasmussen
Subject: Re: webapp architecture
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:33:50 +0100

Seems as complex as some specific indexing, but OK, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut for a while then :)

Regards

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Antenore Gatta <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dion Rasmussen wrote:
>> Why all that fuss, when you can simply configure apache to wrap each
>> job-file in a job-file-template before serving it?
>
> Because there a lot of business logic in the webapp, user interaction, etc.,
> etc.  It is not just convert a job-file to HTML. The functionality is a lot
> more complex.
>

> You could read again the below email thread [1], or even better, take a look
> at the webapp source code.
>
>  [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2008-05/msg00012.html

Dion, you are really missing the point, take a look on the DB physical
model, and the source code...

What you are saying is not technologically wrong, at all, and
everybody here understand your point of view.

For sure there is a lot of work to do and few developers (just one,
plus some help from time to time), the webapp is still not perfect,
but the business logic is well designed.

Using just files as data store, in our case, it's for sure not a good
idea and surely not the way that we want to follow, we will maybe use
files in the future but just to export from DB to rdf, or xml or
something else.

Gnuherds it's not a blog neither a wiki, but an application with a
really complex business logic.

If you want to help we have several opened task at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gnuherds-app/