Re: New feature: visit counters

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: New feature: visit counters
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 00:28:34 +0200

Dion Rasmussen wrote:
> I thought of some advisory-locking and global counter map, but your idea,
> with some already existent database, sounds as fine.

I am not sure if I have understood you rightly. For global counter map we can
just use AWStats [1].  However, I think it is not needed because with the
current functionalities (only job offers) if there are not offers there are
not visits.  IMHO we, as webapp administrators, do not need to setup a global
counter map to know that.

  [1] http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

IMHO we, as webapp users, do not have any interest to know a global counter
map.

About "advisory-locking", I do not understand what you mean to say. Could you
explain?

> I don't know about your security schema but my idea would be .htaccess
> compatible.

Just a comment, using .htaccess files is said be bad for performance:

  "This article focused on tuning the Web server, [...].  With Apache,
   the general idea is to eliminate extra checks the Web server must do,
   such as processing the .htaccess file."

  Ref.: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-tuning-optimizing-apache-php.html