Re: vertical vs horizontal menu

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: vertical vs horizontal menu
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:45:22 +0100

Sameer Naik wrote:
> Victor Engmark wrote:
> > >
> > > IMHO a vertical menu is a lot better:
> > >
> > >   * Adding too much areas as horizontal will steal a lot of space
> > >     forcing to the user to scroll sooner. We should have a
> > >     not-too-much tall heading.
>
> that's correct,  for the user profile management and stuff alike we should
> have a vertical menu. makes it easier to add new tabs into the menu,
> occupies less space and very much user friendly when you have quite a lot
> of menu tabs. imagine 10 tabs tiled horizontally, that would be real bad.

> at the same time we could have a small horizontal tab menu just below and
> sticking the banner with links like about the project, feedback, faq's,
> license, etc. links that aid a new visitor to know about the project and
> its goals.

IMHO we must keep all such entries in the vertical menu.

Note the "FS Job Offers" link.  IMHO, the logo and the vertical menu (down the
logo) is what the user should look in the first place.  The left-top corner.

For the languages it could be OK to use an horizontal menu due to the items
follow the same pattern, and so it is easy to look for:

   lang1  lang2  lang3  lang4

If there is not a fix pattern, looking for an entry is a lot harder:

   Home  Charter (draft)  Hackers' Guide  FS Job Offers  FS Business Models

Additionally, I think keeping the subsection 'Resources', or at least an
horizontal line could be a good idea.

Feedback: I like more the re-enabled red heading.