gnugeneration-discuss

Re: [Gnugeneration-discuss] [FC-discuss] What ideas do you have for dire

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Gnugeneration-discuss] [FC-discuss] What ideas do you have for direct action techniques to further free software and free culture?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:51:51 -0400

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 11:22 -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Tekk <address@hidden> writes:
> >Actually yes, it could certainly be a good idea to point out that
> >allowing that could certainly be akin to giving them a specific right
> >to harm others. Especially given that many people in the bsd
> >communities seem to be of the (US, not aware of how other countries'
> >parties are,) libertarian persuasion. I don't think many of them have a
> >problem with the concept of "Your right to swing your arms around ends
> >at my face."
>
> FWIW, there's a growing realization in libertarian circles that both
> copyrights and patents are incompatible with liberatarian principles.
> This idea used to be a minority viewpoint within libertarianism, but
> that's changing.  The Center for the Study of Innovative Freedom
> (http://c4sif.org/) is one good place to follow this argument.  So is
> http://againstmonopoly.org/.
>
> You don't have to be a libertarian to see the value of working with
> principled allies on this.  There does seem to be strong libertarian
> presence in the tech community in general, especially in the U.S. and
> especially in the open source community, perhaps tilting toward BSD
> licensing but I think there's recognition among libertarians that the
> question of whether non-copyleft or copyleft licenses are more
> compatible with libertarianism is actually rather complex.
>
> -Karl

Most of the "libertarians" (really reformist evangelical
pro-capitalists, not libertarian in the original sense of the word) I've
talked to about this are steadfastly against the GPL, and just think
that copyright monopolies should be abolished.

This is a very good example of how optimizing for an abstractly "free"
market and the common good yield very different results (everything is
public domain vs. the GPL).

--
Sent from Ubuntu