gnugeneration-discuss

Re: [Gnugeneration-discuss] [FC-discuss] What ideas do you have for dire

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [Gnugeneration-discuss] [FC-discuss] What ideas do you have for direct action techniques to further free software and free culture?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:22:14 -0500

Tekk <address@hidden> writes:
>Actually yes, it could certainly be a good idea to point out that
>allowing that could certainly be akin to giving them a specific right
>to harm others. Especially given that many people in the bsd
>communities seem to be of the (US, not aware of how other countries'
>parties are,) libertarian persuasion. I don't think many of them have a
>problem with the concept of "Your right to swing your arms around ends
>at my face."

FWIW, there's a growing realization in libertarian circles that both
copyrights and patents are incompatible with liberatarian principles.
This idea used to be a minority viewpoint within libertarianism, but
that's changing.  The Center for the Study of Innovative Freedom
(http://c4sif.org/) is one good place to follow this argument.  So is
http://againstmonopoly.org/.

You don't have to be a libertarian to see the value of working with
principled allies on this.  There does seem to be strong libertarian
presence in the tech community in general, especially in the U.S. and
especially in the open source community, perhaps tilting toward BSD
licensing but I think there's recognition among libertarians that the
question of whether non-copyleft or copyleft licenses are more
compatible with libertarianism is actually rather complex.

-Karl