gnugeneration-discuss

Re: [Gnugeneration-discuss] What ideas do you have for direct action tec

From: Tekk
Subject: Re: [Gnugeneration-discuss] What ideas do you have for direct action techniques to further free software and free culture?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:27:35 -0400

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:48:07 -0400
Danny Piccirillo <address@hidden> wrote:

> from:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/freeculture/comments/nafcs/discussion_legitimacy_legality_and_direct_action/
>
> *tl;dr: What kind of direct action protests can we do to fight
> non-free software and cultural works?*
>
> (Don't take this too seriously, and just skip to the end to get the
> the crux of the issue)
>
> There is a debate within the free culture and free software
> communities (presented within the scope of software, where it is most
> relevant):
>
> *Permissive vs Copyleft*
>
> Permissive licensing is mostly hands off, and allows for proprietary
> software to be made from free software. The argument here is that free
> software should be made by choice, or at least that the law shouldn't
> be relied upon to keep software free.
>
> Copyleft protects free software by preventing it from being
> appropriated to restrict users' freedom. One of the greatest
> opponents to free software is Apple, and they probably wouldn't be
> around (at least not as they are today) without taking free code
> (from BSD) and making it non-free. The argument here is clear:
> copyright can be a tool to protect free software.
>
> *Industry forces*
>
> This section isn't very articulate, sorry. Probably unnecessary as
> well, skip if it if you're busy and you can come back to it later.
>
> So long as we live in a capitalist society (disregarding any
> judgement of it), money drives business and production. There is no
> reason that giving things away for free is *good* for a business. It
> might not be bad, and it may be made to work for many businesses, but
> is it really the case that a particular business is better off
> financially by making all the software they produce free? It may be
> better that the industry/economy/world as whole would be better off,
> but businesses tend to do what's best for them, and best for them in
> the short term (hence privatizing everything, stocking up on IP, all
> sorts of stupid wasted energy that genuinely keeps the particular
> business in its position but holds everyone back collectively).
>
> Free software, IMHO, is produced in "enlightened self-interest", but
> if the open source (business friendly, better software, better
> development, etc) view is wrong, and free software isn't inherently
> better for business, then copyright is an excellent tool to protect
> free software (through copyleft licensing).
>
> *Direct action*
>
> What if we throw this framework out the window? Many grassroots social
> movements have depended on civil disobedience. Free software has no
> real form of protest. We, as users, can beg developers and companies
> to play nice and free their code (which makes no sense for businesses
> who make a killing off of proprietary software business models), and
> we can boycott, refuse to use proprietary software (as I think we
> should), but this is an extremely slow and painful way to get
> [...]

side note, though ianal: every one of the "here are some" listings are
illegal :)
Basically to get it out more new tactics would need to be made.
"Piracy" does not help because it just gives them ammunition for even
more crippling legislature.
Leaking I have no positive/negative aside from the stated
hacktivism: media portrays you as evil, most people think you are.
large amount of the rest criticize for your "juvenile" methods, again
counterproductive.
email bombing: see hacktivism, depending on the method. are you walking
w/ bots or a form of massed, but individual sending of some protest
letter thing?