Re: [Gnucap-devel] [GSoC] Interfacing with Octave

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [GSoC] Interfacing with Octave
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 17:51:59 -0500

On Monday 03 March 2014, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:
> Thanks for the response. I have a good experience of octave
> as well. I took a Machine Learning class, assignments of
> which, I had to entirely do in Octave.
>
> Could you specify a little task for me which would help you
> as well as me to guage my preparedness for the Octave
> Interfacing project?

I can't because I only use octave minimally.  Maybe somebody
else can.

> Are there any projects with GNUCap which involve learning
> GTK? I'd be more than happy to learn something new and
> contribute towards GNUCap via a GTK based project as well.

No.  Gnucap does not use GTK, and in future might only use it
indirectly.  GTK is a graphic library and Gnucap has no
graphics, thus no need for a graphic library.

On the other hand, a graphic plugin or graphic utility program
needs a graphic library, but it would remain optional.

> Also, could you provide me some pointers to learning GTK,
> assuming that I am good at C++? I would go through the
> resources and later ask you for a little task that could
> help you as well as me guage my preparedness for this kind
> of project.

I don't know .. never used GTK myself.  There is probably a
simple demo program in the GTK docs you can look at.

I see more than one student interested in the graphics.  That's
good in a way, but I recommend that you don't compete against
each other.  Pick projects different enough that we need both.
One using C++/GTK, the other using Octave are different enough
that we might be able to justify funding both.