Re: [Gnucap-devel] [GSoC] Interfacing with Octave

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] [GSoC] Interfacing with Octave
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 14:25:44 -0500

On Sunday 02 March 2014, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:
> I went through the project ideas list and found that
> *interfacing with Octave* would be a project that I would be
> interested in. I have been programming in C++ since long and
> would love to know what initial steps I could take to
> increase my chances of being selected for this years GSoC
> via GNUCap.

The listed "interfacing with octave" is under "graphic output
display program".  Some gnucap users are already using octave as
a data analysis tool with gnucap.

The suggested project is to use octave to build a user-friendly
extendable flexible graphic display for gnucap.  If you want to
do this you should first be intimately familiar with octave in
this kind of application.  You should be able to show us
examples of how you have done this.  Otherwise, you could spend
the whole summer learning the basics of octave, which is not
what we want.  I see this as mostly programming in octave, very
little C++.

If you want to program in C++, you might be better off with the
other approach, writing a new graphic display program or graphic
display plugin.  You need to learn GTK, but I think that should
be easier than learning advanced octave if you don't already
know it.

Incidentally ....  it was tempting to mention "gnuplot" here,
but gnuplot is not affiliated with GNU, not distributed under
GPL, and its license is not GPL compatible.  The fact that the
licence is not GPL compatible means that we cannot use it here.