Re: [Gnucap-devel] New gnucap development snapshot

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] New gnucap development snapshot
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:53:43 -0400

al davis wrote:
On Sunday 09 July 2006 17:47, Dan McMahill wrote:

al davis wrote:

There is a new development snapshot of gnucap available.

You can get it at:
Official site:
http://www.gnucap.org/devel/gnucap-2006-07-08.tar.gz
Mirrors:
http://www.geda.seul.org/dist/gnucap-2006-07-08.tar.gz

cool.  I was updating the NetBSD package and ran into 3 minor
things that I'm somewhat puzzled by.

Did you do anything to the tar file after running 'make
dist'?

This is a transitional release. The tar file was actually made by the old system. The new system didn't work correctly, and rather than taking the time to troubleshoot, I fell back to the old.

Actually, I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting in general. I don't yet fully understand what the issues are.

ah. That would explain what I saw. I'd be happy to help troubleshoot the other issues.

I'm asking because the man/gnucap-man.dvi file doesn't seem to be in the tar file but as near as I can tell from man/Makefile.am, it should be.

It wasn't in the old dist file. I consider it to be "non-source" and those who don't have TeX installed can't use it anyway. It is an intermediate file.

My thinking in including it in the distfile is that since it is in the dependency chain (gnucap-man.tex -> gnucap-man.dvi -> gnucap-man.pdf) the build system will want to build it to produce an up to date gnucap-man.pdf and html man pages. I do agree it is non-source, but it is at least machine independent.

The result is 'make install' fails if I don't have latex installed (the build
system is set up to use latex if found but otherwise issue
warnings and use the .dvi file which ships in the .tar.gz).

Maybe that explains some of the behavior I was seeing. The system I use mostly las latex installed.

same here but probably not everyone has/needs/wants latex to be installed.

The second question is if your intention is to not have the
html manual installed with 'make install'.  By commenting out
the SUBDIRS= html line in man/Makefile.am, the html manual
doesn't get installed.  Whats wierd is by commenting that
out, the html manual shouldn't have even ended up in the
.tar.gz file yet I see it there.

As I said, the tar.gz file was made the old way, which does include the html manual. Even though it is non-source, for many users, it is a preferred way to view the docs. Both html and pdf are provided, so you can read the manual right away without building anything. Should this be changed? I wonder, because both of these are non-source.

I don't have a problem distributing generated files when they are ready for use. In other words the .pdf manual is useful right away. And its not like the real sources are not distributed too. At least for me, it seems like the best of both worlds. You have the real sources and if you modify them, the generated files will be rebuilt but if you don't have latex, dvipdfm, and hevea you're not prevented from having a formatted manual.

My last question is really an observation that
test/==/Makefile.in seems to have been generated by a really
old automake (1.4) while all the others are from a modern
(1.9.6) automake.  I'm not sure how this one got singled out.

So that explains it ......

That whole directory is generated. Same goes for man/html. So, when tinkering, I might remove it then rebuild. The rebuild didn't put in Makefile.am, so Makefile.in wasn't there either, so I put it in manually.

ahh.

I have a lot to say about this snapshot. Mostly it is about the new time step control. Prepare for some reading!

Does this mean a paper is coming down the pipe or just a good section in the manual?

Let me know if there are any specific build system issues you'd like me to try and address.

-Dan