gnuastro-devel

[task #16288] Warp: warn users when WCSLIB version is <7.12

From: Pedram Ashofteh-Ardakani
Subject: [task #16288] Warp: warn users when WCSLIB version is <7.12
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:25:10 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #16288 (project gnuastro):

Hello there Labib,

Thank you for showing interest in completing this task.

Indeed, we can check the WCS version inside 'configure.ac'. The OPTIONAL
warnings echo the following message:

> "OPTIONAL warnings/dependencies (for improved functionality):"

So I'd say since having an 'old' WCS does NOT BREAK the entire program for
every use case, this could be categorized under 'improved functionality'.

About getting the version, maybe we could somehow mimic the
"$gsl_version_old" variable in 'configure.ac'. In case the version is lower
than 7.12, a new variable like "$wcs_version_old" could be set to "yes" and
then a warning could be printed under the OPTIONAL warnings section
informing the user that "warp" might crash in some scenarios (as explained
in the gnuastro manual).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?16288>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/