gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DRenderer - Object

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DRenderer - Object
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:58:56 +0100

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 12:29  Uhr, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
How well can Objects be leveraged to provide performance improvements? For example, can a group in the scene graph be designed to automatically create an Object the first time the group is instanced (say, with an array of children)? Would this be an application-specific optimization? Then the object could be drawn instead of traversing the group's children.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. What do you mean by 'Object' here?

Can RenderMan geometric Objects be stored easily in a separate file? In a RIB file? This would be useful (to me). You could then use different Objects for different applications, but never have to re-build the scene graph. I cannot see any indication that archiving Objects separately is part of RI, but I also cannot see anything that would restrict this.

A RIB file is a serialised byte stream which uses the RenderMan Interface. Thus if we are going to use this interface as discussed earlier then we will be able to create RIB files from 3DKit scene graphs. But maybe this is not what you want to know...?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip