gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DRenderer - Object

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DRenderer - Object
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:15:49 -0500

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 02:53  PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Sorry to follow up myself...

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 07:58  Uhr, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 12:29  Uhr, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
How well can Objects be leveraged to provide performance improvements? For example, can a group in the scene graph be designed to automatically create an Object the first time the group is instanced (say, with an array of children)? Would this be an application-specific optimization? Then the object could be drawn instead of traversing the group's children.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. What do you mean by 'Object' here?

Do you mean an aggregation of arbitrary, geometric primitives by 'Object'? The idea here is to use a compile action on the respective subtree which would generate an optimised (internal!) represenation for the renderer of choice. This is hence not an application specific optimisation, but application specific optimisations on the scene graph level will still be required to maximise rendering performances.

I meant the Object in the Renderman sense (beginObject: etc.). Whether that is created using a compile action, I cannot tell from the current interface.