gnu3dkit-discuss

[Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DRenderer - Object

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DRenderer - Object
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:29:07 -0500

How well can Objects be leveraged to provide performance improvements? For example, can a group in the scene graph be designed to automatically create an Object the first time the group is instanced (say, with an array of children)? Would this be an application-specific optimization? Then the object could be drawn instead of traversing the group's children.

Can RenderMan geometric Objects be stored easily in a separate file? In a RIB file? This would be useful (to me). You could then use different Objects for different applications, but never have to re-build the scene graph. I cannot see any indication that archiving Objects separately is part of RI, but I also cannot see anything that would restrict this.

Brent Gulanowski
--
Mac game development news and discussion
http://www.idevgames.com