gnu-system-discuss

Re: Why don't gnu.org and RMS sign mail? - FDE Crypto

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why don't gnu.org and RMS sign mail? - FDE Crypto
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 00:17:16 +0100

* Alexandre François Garreau <address@hidden> [2019-11-05 20:14]:
> Le mardi 5 novembre 2019 19:58:00 CET, vous avez écrit :
> > Alexandre François Garreau <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > [0] within the current state of affairs, and FSF long having been on lower
> > >  freedom and moral standards than GNU
> > Could you please elaborate this.
>
> For instance I heard about “a day without DRM” as if DRM was acceptable the
> rest of time, like if people making DRM should stop make DRM before we start
> totally stopping DRM, or as if we’ve been all using DRM anyway (talking about
> Netflix like if it was already something so common).  Anyway I find DRM-
> cracking, circumvention and “illegal” “piracy” sharing better one-time
> actions
> than that (even getting something unofficially in streaming is not
> illegal).

I understand your impression of imperfection there. In public
relations there are many issues to observe, one of those is how to
deliver to public what they want and what is acceptable.

I would also wish as you that we all speak in arguments and facts, but
that is not so, one good bunch of public is responsive only on
emotions and do not understand any facts.

In public campaigns one is trying to raise awareness of people
including awareness of those people who always use proprietary
software and those who use DRM too.

Day Without DRM -- if you ask me, this looks so familiar to many other
campaigns like "Day without smoking" or "Day without car accidents",
it is public relation trick to raise awareness, it does not imply the
other days you should do car accidents or you should smoke or get
drugs.

FSF is doing unique and good campaigns on that:
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/

https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm/2019

> I don’t recall the most important the more easily, but there are other stuff
> such as “commercial-like” software-advertisement advertisement related to
> most
> occidental festivities like St-Valentine, Christmass, Halloween, etc. (or
> even
> to some extent simili-religious rethorics like Windows 7 Sins that works a
> lot
> less well outside of US) that drove me more into thinking FSF is more of a
> USA
> local marketing foundation rather than the worldwide legal entity for
> software
> freedom defense.

I don't think that in its inceptions FSF was meant to be of planetary
significance, it became so over time.

That is how public relations work, you take certain trending subjects
and go along with it, to make it acceptable. Or you go with radical
approaches, there are many ways.

For this campaign: http://en.windows7sins.org/ as I am outside of the
US, I do not know why it would work less well outside of US, as before
this campaign I was bashing windows down by all means and it worked
quite well, it was very easy to point out various problems of
Windows.

That campaign is too polite, it is using true facts, and it is
politically correct. Organization cannot speak like geeks can speak
against windows. And there is less public opposition to Windows today
than it was before. xbill also cannot compile easily on my system.

This is good:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-October/msg00818.html

And this is better:
https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

> Anyway these are the kind of stuff I’d somewhat more hardly expect from rms
> but
> I’d likely be expected to see coming from FSF.

You could help GNU by participating and proposing how projects can be
improved. You are free to do so. Do you have better ideas?

https://www.gnu.org/help/help.en.html

Jean