gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 17:52:31 -0700

On 7/8/23 19:53, Richard Stallman wrote:
   > this part just went full-circle back to a few weeks ago
   > "emulators and other hosts of foreign applications"
   > https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2023-06/msg00088.html

You're focusing on abstract classifications of programs, but that's
not what this issue is about.

This issue is not about distinguishing emulators from interpreters, or
any such classification of programs.  Because it is not about making
rules to apply to those classifications.  It is not about rigid rules
at all.

The issue here is: given a specific free program that can
(occssionally, or theoretically) be used to run some free software,
but in practice is nearly always used to run nonfree software, which
of these approaches should we choose about that program?  Which

All of these approaches are legitimate and ethical according to our
philosophy.  But each can be more or less beneficial to the cause.

1. treat it like any other free program -- pay it no special
attention.

2. Urge free distros to reject it, becsuse in practice distributing
it to users only legitimizes the nonfree programs that depend on it.

3. Tell free distros to reject it, for that same reason.

4. Tell free distros they can redistribute it provided they remove all
information about finding the nonfree programs it can run.

Right now we are thinking about the ScummVM case.  I do NOT expect we
will want to treat all such cases alike.  I expect that in thinking
about various cases, we will find reasons for treating various cases
in various ways.

I completely agree that the solution to this question will depend on a specific case, and I would like to express my opinion on ScummVM, and other similar cases.

I will state some of my assumptions first, and then try to argue from them, just for structure.

It is not intrinsically unethical to use nonfree software. It is, to contrast, unethical to develop nonfree software with the intent to distribute it and then to exploit the user. There are yet other unethical things one can do with nonfree software, but merely using it is not one of them. In a case of something like playing a single-player video game for fun, the user is not harming anyone (not even themselves), so I fail to see how this can be unethical. In general, in the absence of harmed parties, whose harm results from the use of nonfree software, the harm which is possible or likely precisely because the software is nonfree, I do not see an ethical argument against using the software, but may be I am missing something.

Moreover, I would suggest that FSF should not be in the business of advising people at large not to use nonfree software, and to my very limited understanding, it does not have such a mission. I just want to make it clear that even if it does, it should not. FSF encourages the use of free software, as well as advocating for its use, goals both very important and ethically valid in my opinion, but that is not at all the same as encouraging not using nonfree software. Merely using nonfree software is not unethical, and campaigning against that would be nothing but condescending, to speak politely. In specific cases where the use is linked to harm, FSF can and should raise its voice, of course.

Now I want to address the case of ScummVM, but pretty much everything I say here will be true of other emulators which are primarily or significantly used for emulating old games. What harm (to users) is there from playing old games via ScummVM, dosbox, pcsx2, or even recent games via yuzu and the like? Even multiplayer games? There is a very slight chance that malicious software will break out of the emulator and cause actual harm. Given the specifics of the case, no one should expect anything more serious than game crashes. How can an old game purposefully exploit an emulator that was created much later, I will leave for all of you to imagine. Aside from this, I struggle to identify any harm done to anyone, and this is where someone can perhaps meet my argument and show me something I missed.

On the other hand, consider all the good things these emulators do for their users. Perhaps most obviously, they effectively grant the user freedom 0 for the software they emulate, which is a gateway to obtaining other freedoms, even if via reverse-engineering. As a consequence, they also help the scientific community to study the history of software, by serving as an essential archival tool. I would even argue, they serve this purpose pretty much upon release, because the pace of software evolution is so great, and many commercial video game developers have plans to make game/console/platform obsolete by the next upgrade, even as they develop the current one. But even without the goodies, I think, no harm should imply no foul.

Therefore, in my opinion, the most appropriate course of action in the case of something like ScummVM is

> 1. treat it like any other free program -- pay it no special
> attention.

It shouldn't even matter if the emulator software comes with a list of all the (nonfree) titles it can emulate. One can argue that this is enticing distro users to use some specific nonfree software, but using these titles is not unethical, and suggesting such use is not unethical either. FSF should not be in the business of telling people not to use nonfree software in cases when it is practically harmless, where freedoms are taken away nominally, but they are not the freedoms that 99% of users would care to exercise, or even notice if someone was exercising them. People playing Monkey Island or Mario would not see any improvement to their quality of life if these titles became free software tomorrow, even if the titles themselves got improved: there is only so much fun one can have while playing video games.

To conclude, I want to stress once more that this type of analysis is highly sensitive to the purpose of the software and the actual use cases. Software enticing distro users to run a nonfree point-of-sale software, for example, would have to be at least noticed and discouraged, and perhaps even officially proscribed by FSF, at least for the purpose of being included into a free OS distribution.

--
Ivan G. Zaigralin
Mathematics Professor