gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines".
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 22:26:14 -0400

  > For instance it turned out that what to do with ScummVM is not
  > necessarily the same from what to do in general for programs like VMs
  > that run other programs like games when there is no 100% free software
  > use case for the "VM".

They are not _necessarily_ the same a prioi, I agree.
If there is an emulator (or whatever) that we know will only run
nonfree softwsre, we _might_ want to make a rule not to include
it in free distros.

But not necessarily.  It would not be out of the question to
use just an "urge" as I've chosen for ScummVM.

After all, this is not a matter of including nonfree software in the
distro.  It is a possible negative influence that works against our
principles, but it is not outright against them.