gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] emulators and other hosts of foreign applications
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 04:58:54 +0200

On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 23:37:46 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:>
> as things are now, distros are reviewed and endorsed, and nothing
> further - any flaws which may have been overlooked during the initial
> review, or are added later, will likely not be known to the distro as
> an infraction,, unless perhaps the distro is heavily involved with
> the work-group (most are not) - worse, even if infractions occur
> despite being know to be as such, infractions are without consequence
In the past some operating systems were removed.

I was involved in the ReactOS removal, so I can comment on this one.
The issue with ReactOS is that it contained a package manager that had
probably free and nonfree software that the users could easily
download and install.

So the amount of difference with the FSDG was way bigger than the
situation we have now.

If we do a thought experiment and assume that in the past Debian did
what it take to become FSDG compliant, and that it then became what
it is today, and see if it would keep the FSDG compliance, especially
if it willingly took a path different from the FSDG, I think that that
after some discussions, Debian would be removed.

So that means that the FSDG is still useful because things too far away
from what is written cannot stay.

But what I'd like is to be able to use it in a way that makes sure that
users that want to run only free software can, regardless of their
technical abilities. But that is being discussed in the other thread
about third party package managers, not here.

Denis.