Re: Nokia phones and data cables

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Nokia phones and data cables
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:42:53 +0200

Hi Peter,

On 5/15/05, Peter Robinson <address@hidden> wrote:
> I use gnokii under linux and have had pretty good success with it on
> my 6230 and other models like the 6310. Good work.

Thanks for the good words.

> I was wondering about the use of the different data cables. I have
> both a 6230 (private) and a 3100 (work) and the Nokia web site
> mentions the DKU-5 for the 3100 and the DKU-2 for the 6230. Does
> anyone know the difference in the two and whether they are
> interchangeable or whether one of them is usable with gnokii on both
> phones (even with limited functionality).

Liitle googling says:
<quote>
DKU-2 is a straight passthrough cable, no chips or logic in it
whatsoever... just wires connecting the phone connectors to the USB
connector. This works for phones with native USB connectivity. DKU-2
is used for models with external memory (6620, 7610, 6630, 3230, 6230,
668x, 9300, 7710, 9500, 3200)

DKU-5 has a chip in it to emulate a serial port through the USB
connector. This is for phones without native USB connectivity. DKU-5
is used for models WITHOUT external memory (6100, 3100, 3120, 3200,
3220, 6610, 7210, 7250, 68xx, 6200, 6220)
</quote>

So in fact there are two main differences:
 - each one supports different models
 - dku-5 will work with standard serial driver in the operating
system, dku-2 needs a separate driver to support it (one for Linux is
included in gnokii distribution).

take care,
pkot
--