Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:34:13 -0500

Sorry, the barrier for participation is too high.

What should have been a single, simple page edit has now become a
requirement for an account on the Wiki (OK, that's reasonable), an
obscure requirement to add myself to an Editor page (I participate on
many community Wikis; this is the first time I've run into that). Now
there also seems to be a requirement to join the Developer's mailing
list, and another to join the Savannah project site.

It turns out that the Wiki signup page asked for my first and last
names (reasonable), but that generated a user name of [[Bob Jonkman]],
with a space.  Editing the Editor's page and my home page is nearly
impossible, since the Preview button doesn't deal well with the
embedded space. I munged the URL to use %20, but after two or three
edits that becomes too onerous. And the Support page is still "immutable".

The Captcha is one of the strongest I've seen, requiring detailed
knowledge of the gNewSense project (that's reasonable). However, the
questions can't be readily answered from information on the wiki.
There is no project history page to research the question "What wiki
software was used before MoinMoin" (I found a casual mention in a blog
post to PMWiki), and to answer the question "Who is the maintainer of
Linux-Libre" I had to turn to Wikipedia since Alexandre Oliva is not
listed on the gNewSense Credits page. And it seems ".odt" is not the
correct answer to "What's the common file extension for OpenDocument
format text documents?" Punctuation? Capitalization?

So, while I'm happy to contribute to gNewSense in a casual, trivial
way this has just become too difficult.

- --Bob.