Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages

From: kpb
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:47:47 +0000

On 2014-12-30 10:53, Patrick Frank wrote:
Hello,
when I saw the talk of Richard Stallman at the Chaos Communication
Congress yesterday I felt inspired to try to change my habits as user
of the GNU/Linux operating system towards a more free approach in
computing.

Excellent. I'm downloading the audio file from the link you sent in a later message.

Another aspect that started to worry me is the aging of packages. As
user I am not only restricted to free packages only which cuts out
quite a few useful tools but they are based on a Debian release from
May 2013 and the current alpha version will be based on that branch
too when I am not mistaken.

What tools do you need more up to date versions of?

Personally, I prefer a 'stable' system but then again my needs are simple (Web, Office, photo/music management, R). I'm posting this from a gNewSense 4.0 install on my testing laptop a Thinkpad X61s (with ath5 wifi) and it appears to work without any hardware issues.

Greetings, Patrick.

Happy New Year from the UK