Re: [gNewSense-users] Observations after reinstalling GNS on a Yeeloong

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Observations after reinstalling GNS on a Yeeloong laptop
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:23:39 +0100

samy boutayeb wrote:
2/ The upgrade to the 2.6.37 kernel requires to change from hda to sda
in the /etc/fstab and in /boot/grub.cfg

I noticed that too. I edited the wiki page accordingly a few days ago.

3/ PMON graphical interface
The PMON graphical interface offers a more userfriendly way to change
the system parameters.

Open it by pressing the "b" key at boot time

Doesn't work on my machine. If someone can figure out the specifics of this, please add to the Lemote page on our wiki.

However, some parameter changes are saved correctly whereas some other
not:

Lemote is still actively developping PMON [1]. You could submit bug reports about your problems.

6/ With the 2.6.35 and the 2.6.37 kernels the yeelong-base and
grub-yeeloong packages seem to be not more required. However the suspend
to ram and the hibernate function dont work anymore.

Yeeloong-base does 2 things (so far): update the kernel and provide an init script for wifi. We've kept to 2.6.32 for a while now because there was no real need to update.

Yeeloong-base also pulls in grub-yeeloong because it's a nicer boot loader than PMON. It's slow, but I hear that's a lot better in newer versions of GRUB (should even be usable as a firmware replacement for PMON). We haven't got around to updating it yet.

Suspend and hibernate work for me with both .35 and .37. Make sure you edit the swap partition in /etc/fstab for .37. Do you get any error messages (check dmesg)?

[1] http://dev.lemote.com/code/pmon