[gNewSense-users] Observations after reinstalling GNS on a Yeeloong lapt

From: samy boutayeb
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Observations after reinstalling GNS on a Yeeloong laptop
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:37:39 +0100

Hi all,

I am trying to optimize my Yeeloong laptop running GNS, after a new
installation with the vmlinuz-2.6.35.8-libre2-lemote from
http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/installer/current/mipsel/loongson/netboot/

So far, I made a few observations:

1/ Following the instructions in
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS
gives me a functional system

2/ The upgrade to the 2.6.37 kernel requires to change from hda to sda
in the /etc/fstab and in /boot/grub.cfg

3/ PMON graphical interface
The PMON graphical interface offers a more userfriendly way to change
the system parameters.

Open it by pressing the "b" key at boot time

However, some parameter changes are saved correctly whereas some other
not:

4/ Kernel path
When customizing the PMON parameters from within the graphical interface
the "Boot" page offers the parameter "Set kernel path" which I managed
to update to "/boot/vmlinux" after copying the vmlinux-2.6.37... file to
"vmlinux".

5/ Karg parameter
As for the "Set karg" parameter, I can modify the value from
"console=tty root=/dev/hda1 no_auto_cmd" to "console=tty root=/dev/sda1
no_auto_cmd" in order to avoid a kernel panic in the event of booting
without a /boot/boot.cfg file. However, the karg parameter are
reinitialised after a reboot. Then, I have to manually update the karg
parameter from the PMON console, with:

set karg "console=tty root=/dev/sda1 no_auto_cmd"

6/ With the 2.6.35 and the 2.6.37 kernels the yeelong-base and
grub-yeeloong packages seem to be not more required. However the suspend
to ram and the hibernate function dont work anymore.

Regards

Samy