[gNewSense-users] latest Intel GMA HD works with Free Software ?

From: ben
Subject: [gNewSense-users] latest Intel GMA HD works with Free Software ?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:25:00 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to buy a new computer which should run free software only,
of course.
As for graphics, I'd like to get an Intel GMA HD Graphics ([1], more
specifically [2]).

I'd like to know whether this chip will work well with free software. A
search has revealed some problems, as e.g. [3] and [4].

I do not care about 3d, but I would like to be able to play videos and
dvd without problems.

Could you point me to any recent information about free software
compatibility, or tell from your experiences with this chip?

Thanks a lot in advance,
ben

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#HD_Graphics_.28GMA_HD.29