Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: Detecting sourceless firmware

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] KFV: Detecting sourceless firmware
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:07:31 +0100

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Luis Alberto Guzmán García <address@hidden> wrote:
Looking at this issue now more clearly with the KFV flow, and the point
that Brian mentioned.

I was checking this, sourceless firmware *should* be find by a script,
why?
I already find some of them, and since i have no knowledge on
programming, i could not identify them, besides some of them are mixed
with free software (i presume).

The case
i'm sure there has been more than one in my hands but if it doesn't
explicit say "This is firmware based on proprietary unpublished source"
i think i'll pass it like if it were free software, for most of the
cases.

i'm not pretty sure about the experience of the other comrades working
on the KFV but i suggest that this should be done after we finish some
mayor sections, to identify it and remove it if is not free or can't be
changed.

The main point of KvF is to find these sourceless blobs, and you should be looking at the entire file in any case.
While we have scripts that apply heuristics, they're never going to be as good as a human.

Brian

I know that you already say it but i just wanted to confirm my point of
view.

--
Luis Alberto Guzmán García <address@hidden>