Re: [gNewSense-users] Freedom verification and documenting the wiki

From: Chris Andrew
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Freedom verification and documenting the wiki
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:25:00 +0100

Lee,

Forgive my late reply to your email.

I am currently doing some more work on main/s, and have found a package without any copyright information.

I did some research on the net (Sourceforge et al), and now believe the software to be GPL.  Hopefully this partly answers your question.  In order to confirm the package status, I have emailed the package maintainer, so that hopefully he can clarify the situation and also add a copyright notice in the repository.  The bottom line is, if we discover a package to be truly non-free, then it will have to be dropped.  This is the main difference between us and the guys at Ubuntu.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris.