Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense for PowerPC?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense for PowerPC?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:26:35 +0930

Larry Cafiero wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> Just wondering (and maybe this is a question for Karl Goetz, if he's on
> this list): I

Hi there :)
sorry about the lag, my pc is overheating +crashing out atm :/

> visited http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/PowerpcPortStatus  and was
> wondering if there has been any progress (or if there is any intention
> to continue at all) with a PowerPC version of gNewSense.

all the work i did can be summarised at
http://users.on.net/~goetz/gnewsense/powerpc
status:
it builds using a PPC as buildd, but i didnt have time to get a
multiarch builder [1].

> Also, in broader terms, I am wondering if there is even an interest in
> developing gNewSense for PowerPC machines.

I'm for it

> I have just started taking programming courses -- I'm a journalist by
> profession who someday hopes to program (and hack, in the true,
> Stallman-esque sense of the word) -- so I'd be willing to do whatever I
> can to help with PowerPC development, with the caveat that I currently
> lack experience (but am also a fast learner). Along with being a FOSS
> evangelist, I am a longtime Mac user dedicated to the hardware (because
> it is the best, in my opinion), and I'm currently running Xubuntu 7.04
> and 6.10 on multiple iMacs and PowerMacintosh G3s at home.

welcome in, hope you enjoy your stay :)
kk

> [Also, on another note, I just "liberated" a Dell Optiplex desktop from
> work, on which I plan to install gNewSense over the weekend.]
>
> Larry Cafiero
> Editor/Publisher
> Open Source Reporter
> http://www.opensourcereporter.net
> (also, "Larry the Open Source Guy" --
> http://larrytheopensourceguy.wordpress.com)

[1] i suspect multiarch will basicly require a rewrite

--
Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom - http://www.gnewsense.org