Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New installation issues

From: George Roberge
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New installation issues
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 21:54:40 -0400

Hey, thank you very much for the encouraging reply.  I did actually grab the gNewSense disc again to do more experimenting.  Unfortunately, this situation has gone beyond comical.

The bottom line is that I have absolutely no network on the laptop.  Trisquel loaded up the atl1c driver (and iwlwifi, which I thought was non-free but may have been cleaned up) when I tested that OS out, so when the gNewSense installer told me that I had no Ethernet card I selected that atl1c from the list...unsuccessfully.  I dropped to a command line and tried to modprobe it (which may not have been right, but I'm still in training), but no luck.  Wouldn't you know that there was an issue reported with that module in one of the 2.6 kernels, which I will assume is the one I have.

So then, I'm here with zero network, a broken (?) network driver, and two useless USB wifi firmware files on a stick that I can't use.  If I had the partridge in a pear tree I'd be all set!

...and I can't access the site from a phone, tablet, or three different PCs.  I don't know why.

That's about the end of my day.  Thank you again for your reply!
George R.