Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New installation issues

From: Harry Prevor
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New installation issues
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:18:00 -0400

Thanks for trying out gNewSense George.

On 2014-03-26 20:40, George Roberge wrote:
I did install gNewSense on my laptop and a spare PC this evening because
I wanted to get a feel for the distribution, and I found that Evolution
would not function properly unless I stopped Gnome's Network Manager.
This is not really the point of this email, but related.

This is odd. I would file a bug if this hasn't been already reported.

I purchased a Think Penguin USB network adapter to help break out of the proprietary hardware bind, and used it well-enough in Mint Debian. As a
side note- turning off the wifi using the keyboard button disabled both
the internal wifi and the USB adapter, which was disappointing, but
that's not important, either.  What became problematic was when I
installed gNewSense on the laptop, and had neither a recognized eth0
card (Intel, I guess), nor a working USB adapter.  I want to say that
the USB adapter requires a newer kernel than the one in gNewSense.

You can upgrade the gNewSense kernel (and I recommend that you tell others about this too) by using jxself's repositories[1]. Simply follow the directions on that page and you should find your hardware working.

I'm a pretty patient person, but as the night went on I lost most of it,
and am a little concerned about trying to promote the software if I
can't run it.  No offense to anyone here, but if I'm a "tech dork" and
have had this many issues, I'm afraid of what Joe Windows will face if
he brings home the distribution DVD.

I understand how you feel -- The fact is, operating systems are often hard to get working correctly. Please don't leave us; sometimes you just have to grind out through all the issues out before you get comfortable. All of the issues you've described in this email are indeed fixable; it's just a matter of getting the work done.

[1]: http://jxself.org/linux-libre/

Glad to have a new gNSer,

--
Harry Prevor