Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Suggestion

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Suggestion
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 11:58:58 -0500

2014/1/3 Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>
Op Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:04:25 +0800
schreef gNewSense Live user <address@hidden>:

> I suggest you can use the native language characters to represent the
> URL of wiki pages.
>
> For example,
>
> "http://www.gNewSense.org/zh_TW/Documentation"
>
> could be
>
> 1) "http://www.gNewSense.org/中文_臺灣/文件"
>
> or
>
> 2) "http://www.gNewSense.org/zh_TW/文件"
>
> If 1) is choosen, then the source code translation widget of the web
> site may need to be modified.

Having the URL in the native language would be nice for some users. But
it would be rather difficult for translators and website maintainers
that don't know the language to figure out which pages are translations
of each other. They (and the translation widget) would need to have a
mapping of page names for each page and somehow make that data
accessible enough so that we don't have to update the wiki's
programming every time a new page gets added.

I would like to have option (2) as well, specially because the breadcrumbs are currently generated from the page path and having localized URLs would mean having localized breadcrumbs. But, as Sam says, it would require a mapping of page names that is easy to maintain and independent from the wiki theme code.

I added this as a proposal to Galaxia theme, but I can't say that I can implement it soon [3].

Most users don't care about URLs anyway, so I think that's not worth
the time and effort. I noticed that the "pragma title" processing
instruction (e.g. [1]) doesn't work in the Galaxia theme. I've put in a
request to implement this. It should help users feel more at home on
our website (and maybe help improve search engine ranking).

I'll add the "PRAGMA title" option to the next version of Galaxia, thanks.

[3] https://bitbucket.org/sirgazil/galaxia/issue/47/

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/