Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU C-Graph: Over 100, 000 Discover That Visualizing

From: Hugh Mayfield
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU C-Graph: Over 100, 000 Discover That Visualizing Convolution is Easy
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:13:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Karl Goetz wrote:

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:23:03 +1000
From: Karl Goetz <address@hidden>
To: Hugh Mayfield <address@hidden>
Cc: Tobias Platen <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU C-Graph: Over 100,
    000 Discover That Visualizing Convolution is Easy

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:23:35 +1000
From: Karl Goetz <address@hidden>
To: Tobias Platen <address@hidden>,
address@hidden
    000 Discover That Visualizing Convolution is Easy

On Sat Sep 28 06:16:09 2013 Tobias Platen
<address@hidden> wrote:
On 27.09.2013 21:15, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Op Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:42:05 -0400
schreef Adrienne Thompson <address@hidden>:

Some Gnews that makes Sense. Here's a great package to include in
gNewSense - GNU C-Graph, the free software tool that makes
learning
about convolution easy:

Ideally, gNewSense would have all GNU software included, and
educational software is particularly

I've used GNU C-Graph on Trisquel recently, I had to install it
from
Source, because it is not in the Trisquel repos.

I think it is worth to set up a common repository for both Trisquel
an
Gnewsense that contains the latest stable releases of GNU software.

Maintaining a repository like that is a lot of work. It would
definitely be benefitial to all but time to maintain it will be the
proble.

Is this something I could do?

Quite possibly, if you can provide the following:
* enough system resources to build packages

Possibly. I've got a brace of multi-GHz machines. I don't know if that's enough?

* reasonable network location for users to download from

Definitely can't provide this.  Cannot afford it.

* time to build and test the packages on the supported releases of the
supported distros
* time to patch packages and update to newer versions.
* time to do any other supporting bits of work (eg keepingthe build
environments up to date)

Time is not a problem.

Does the above work?

Regards,

Hugh

Some or all of these may involve learning experiences but i'm not sure the best
places to ask for help. I'm happy to take personal email with help requests if
you decide to proceed and i'm sure no one will mind gnewsense specific
questions being asked here or on irc.

if you want some more information let me know.
thanks,
kk

address@hidden
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org