Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Potential new developer

From: Hugh Mayfield
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Potential new developer
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 23:57:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, t s wrote:

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:06:10 +0100 (BST)
From: t s <address@hidden>
To: hugh.mayfield <address@hidden>,
    "address@hidden" <address@hidden>

Your resume is fine, now try and find your niche. One of the simplest tasks is
to install
the system on your home machine and start using it, as you use it more and more
you
will discover bugs which may be in the operating system or in the applications
you are
running. You can further research these bugs and try and patch them.

This will give you an insight how the code in large projects are organised and
how it
is maintained. This will not be a quick job.

It's a long journey, you will need to do research on operating systems - try
the book by
Andrew S Tanenbaum. And then there is driver development - again there are lots of books out there.

But if you are a beginner, then install the system to learn how to use it and how to develop applications on it. That way you will improve your programming skills and learn more
about the operating system. Your applications will hopefully become a saleable
commodity
as will your improved support skills.
?
Well done for your enthusiasm. Its great.

Thanks TS.  I will definitely do as you suggest.  :-)

TS