Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Potential new developer

From: Hugh Mayfield
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Potential new developer
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 23:53:19 +0000 (UTC)

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:36:20 +0200
From: "[utf-8] Micha?~B Mas?~Bowski" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

We don't have many todo items specific to C right now. Taking on
Epiphany [1] is a bit heavy for a beginner. :)  But learning the basics
of patching a package [2] is certainly useful in order to solve many of
our bugs [3].

What skills are needed?  I'll learn whatever is most in demand.

Some Debian packaging is needed, the wiki link that Sam posted should be
a good introduction to it.  Debian development documentation has much
more details.

POSIX sh and make are often needed, build systems, packaging scripts and
some Debian tools that we adapt use them.

We use the Bazaar version control system for our source repositories,
you might use also other VCSes to access upstream or Debian repos.

Knowing the programming languages used by a project is not always
needed.  Fixing the IceDove bug??[0] shouldn't require much more than
patching a configuration file and rebuilding the package.

[0] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?39512

OK, I'll find out what that all means and work on becoming proficient at it. Thanks for your thoughts. :-)

address@hidden
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org