Re: [Gnewsense-dev] patch for irssi bug.

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] patch for irssi bug.
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 21:37:59 +0200

Op Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:23:06 -0500
schreef Richard Hinojosa <address@hidden>:

> I get this error when applying 03firsttimer_text.patch:
>
> patching file patches/03firsttimer_text-gnewsense
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 21.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file
> patches/03firsttimer_text-gnewsense
> Patch 03firsttimer_text.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)

I hadn't looked closely at the provided patch. It's a patch on Debian's
patch file instead of the source. Quilt only handles patches on the
source. The patch from the bug report is meant to be applied using the
patch command straight up.

While that is an option, I prefer to leave Debian's patch files
untouched and instead add our own patch files that may overwrite some
of Debian's changes to the source. So you should do (on the unmodified
source package):

quilt push -a
quilt new name-of-patch
quilt edit src/fe-text/irssi.c
etc.

Edit irssi.c in such a way as the provided patch would do. In the end
you'll have 2 patches (1 from Debian and 1 for gNewSense) that operate
on the same piece of code.