Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Wiki spam

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Wiki spam
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 22:02:32 +1000

Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
> Op Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:58:03 +1000
> schreef Andrew R. <address@hidden>:

> > Do any other members have suggestions for ways we can stop the spam
> > attacks?
>
> The only thing I can think of right now is some kind of authorization
> for new accounts. I didn't check yet what the options are in MoinMoin.
> Probably needs someone to babysit account requests. That cure might be
> worse than the disease.

Possibly, but new legitimate accounts aren't created /that/ fast. Depending on
the options it may be possible to send applications to an email address
(mailing list?) or have anyadmin user ok/deny the account. hopefully that would
mean all accounts are processed in <=24 hours.

> > Also, I think the wiki has fail2ban on it but I heard it wasn't
> > working.
>
> I'll have to check that again. I'm sure it has worked in the past,
> because I hit the limit myself a few times when doing mass spam
> removal.

If its worked, awesome :D (even if it was a false positive!)
thanks,
kk