Re: [Gnewsense-dev] patch for claws-mail

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] patch for claws-mail
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:24:52 +0200

Op Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:31:45 +0200
schreef Anthony LETELLIER <address@hidden>:

> I replaced rxvt because I thought it's easier to use
> x-terminal-emulator. Anyone can use this command without necessarily
> install rxvt.

That makes sense. However, I'd like to keep our diff with Debian limited
to (mostly) freedom issues and branding. Every change, small as it may
be, needs to be maintained and (as I found on multiple occasions during
my work on gNS) can have unwanted side effects.

This change has nothing to do with non-free browsers, so would be
better placed in a separate patch. Small changes are easier to debug
than large ones and the same goes for code that is logically named
(i.e. that does what it looks like it does).

That part of the patch would serve better upstream. The Claws Mail
project probably won't accept it, because it's pretty Debian-specific.
You can try with Debian, but there's a good chance that the maintainer
will also argue for keeping the difference with upstream small. If you
try with at least one of them and they refuse, then I might consider
accepting it after all if you pledge to maintain claws-mail for us for
at least five years. :)